Simple. There are so many horrible horrible hostels, and I know I can create a better hostel.
I view hostels the same as I view running a bar; if you have a decent location and can’t run a successful bar, you’re an idiot. Okay, that’s a bit extreme. But you get the point. The same thing applies to hostels.
Why it’s appealing opportunity:
- Good margins – I think. Keep the hostel close to capacity, and you’ll make a killing.
- Great lifestyle – Live where you want, and hang out with awesome travelers all day. Listen to great music and socialize. What more could you want?
In my mind, here’s what’s included in the perfect hostel:
- Comfy common area with a couple couches
- A table or two with chairs
- A decent location. Sure, a great location would be awesome – but not entirely necessary
- Chill music
- Character – surfboards, cool artwork, a guitar, etc
- Awesome staff – this is probably the most important item on the list
- Local directions, events, and info
- Common kitchen with a refrigerator to leave leftovers
- WIFI throughout
- Organized events (pub crawls, walking tours, dinners) at least every 3 days
- Great happy hour specials
- Snacks/food available until at least 2 am
- Comfortable mattresses with warm comforter (for a cold weather area)
- Metal storage lockers that hold a regular sized backpack (not a big one), latch, and can accommodate a small lock.
What would your perfect hostel include?